Nowadays, web programming is one of the most promising fields of activity. In today’s world, if any business does not have its own website, it is far behind its competitors.
To create interactive and compact web applications, it is necessary to know a lot of modern web standards. We do not pretend to be a comprehensive description of these standards, however, we have tried to collect a lot of interesting material that will serve as a good impetus for beginning web programmers.
- Why do you need web programming?
- Basic concepts
- Web programming technologies
- Web design
- Client-side programming
- Server-side programming
Why Web Programming?
The rapid development of the Internet over the past couple of years has led to an increase in the number of new online services. Starting from the initial characteristics and basic services available to users (e-mail and the web), the Internet has developed into a large worldwide web with a large number of different services, technological solutions and has become the place where business organizations from all over the world meet.
There is an increase in the number of companies switching to electronic business. They open their corporate domains, create their websites, advertise their goods and services on the Internet, launch online sales.
The main role in the technical part of this work will belong to web programmers and developers. Their tasks:
- create websites
- html layout
- connect them to the corresponding database
- write web servlets
- create web services
- connect to the Internet
- create web applications for various purposes
- create technical prerequisites for online sales and promotion of goods and services
- take care of the security of websites and web servers
- optimize customers’ existing web applications
- make it possible to automate the publication of content
Web programming is the creation of sites and applications that run on the web. Special computer programs are created – scripts, which are divided into two types: server and client. The server is a computer on which site files are located. The client is the user himself, or to be more precise, the browser installed on the PC. When submitting a request to the server, it acts as a client.
The link between the web developer and the sites is the web programming language. There are many languages in which both server and client scripts are written. But some languages, on the contrary, are used exclusively for server or client scripts.
Web programming technologies
- The HTML markup language is the code used to structure and display a web page and its content
- CSS is actually a stylesheet language that is responsible for displaying HTML documents. CSS works with fonts, with character and background colors, with margins, with lines, with the height and with the width of display elements, with background images, with the positioning of elements and much more
- SASS is a CSS preprocessor that can reduce the amount of repetitive CSS code and save time. This is a more stable CSS extension that clearly and structurally describes document styles.
- LESS is an extension to CSS. It has all the basic capabilities of preprocessors and even more, but does not have conditional structures and loops in the usual sense. Its main advantage is its simplicity, practically standard syntax for CSS and the possibility of expanding the functionality due to the system of plugins
- The PHP programming language is the most popular server-side web programming language. PHP is supported by most hosting providers
- ASP.NET. — a low-code web application development model that includes the services needed to build enterprise web applications
Python is a general-purpose programming language aimed primarily at increasing the productivity of the programmer himself
- Ruby on Rails is an open source, web-oriented development environment optimized for ease of programming and robust performance
- Thus, by combining different technologies, whether they are client or server, the developer can get a large number of different interactive possibilities.
Web programming at KPI
Summing up, I would like to note that web developers are the same as programmers, because both positions have similar requirements for skills and abilities. Web developers use skills and tools that programmers will never use, such as various graphic design and video editing tools. In addition, web developers usually contact their customers more often than programmers.
If you don’t know where to start studying programming, you want to study the basics of web programming and information technologies in detail – we invite you to study at our Kyiv Polytechnic University named after Igor Sikorsky at the APEPS department, and we guarantee that upon graduation, you will really be a professional web- developer!